Δευτέρα 4 Ιανουαρίου 2021

20 things I learned in 2020

 or should I say "I was reminded of"? Either way, here it is


1. Everything can change in a single heartbeat

This year, if anything, has been a proof of that. All it took was a hot second for the whole world to be condemned to an international crisis, as if it wasn't in one already.

2. Never, and I do mean ever, take anything for granted

Much like #1, it speaks for itself. As the world is spinning, so are we along with it. Nothing stays the same and everything is constantly changing.

3. Be open to adaptation and be willing to change

In just a few months, every single "norm" we had in mind for every day life has rapidly changed. Still, there's people that refuse to catch up. I honestly do get the whole concept of "free will" and I'm all about that, I really am. But your free will ends when there's people's life at stake because of your actions and lack of understanding. It's all about adapting and learning to live in peace.

4. Be mindful of the people you have around you

They really can make or break you. It's been a tough year -to put it mildly- and I wouldn't imagine spending it with anybody else rather than those I had around me. Your people are your source of strength, they're not there to make it worse, keep that in mind.

5. Sometimes it's better to just listen, without actually saying anything back

Okay, just hear me out on this one. Given we have democracy, we have rights and we do have a freedom of speach, I'm not one to talk about any of that. But I do have to say about the whole a-virus-is-eating-up-our-planet-and-you-still-refuse-to-just-wear-the-damn-mask situation. There was never a question about this virus being real or not. Sure, they were one heck of conspiracy theories, but never, not once, did anyone publicly ask "Do you believe there's covid-19?  If yes, wear the mask, if not, then don't." It was never up for debate. How could anyone live knowing they're hurting other by doing what they want, only to go against the current? That's a burden I wouldn't want on my conscience. Like I said on #3, it's all about adaptation.

6. How icky anything we considered "normal" actually is

Like riding the bus with many more people that appropriate like sardines in a tin. How did we ever think that was okay. How did we ever think not wearing a mask on public transportation was okay. How did we never think of just how sick another person standing right next to us could be and we'd have no idea. Or having pool parties with tons of people in the same pool that was last cleaned God knows when. It honestly makes me sick just thinking about it.

7. People can be quite disgusting

The sequel to #6.  It baffles me just how many times people need to listen to "wash their hands carefully" or "wear the mask so that it covers both your mouth and nose" to actually do that correctly. Did you not use hand sanitizer before? Do you actually need to hear that in order to do it? Is this the first time you're washing your hands? Do you seriously not know where your nose is? Do you need a manual to sneeze away from others? 

Shocking. Honestly, shocking.

8. There's a lot of recipes to try out 

I mean, if you say you didn't make banana bread ONCE, especially during the first lockdown, you're a liar. Have fun making your own food or baking or even trying a new coffee (yes I am promoting my dalgona coffee article. I'm such a walking ad of myself). 

9. Social media can get boring... like reeaaally boring (and Netflix as well)

Don't get me wrong, I love me some IG scrolling. Okay, a lot of IG scrolling. But it gets boring when there's nothing left to scroll through. I've spent so many hours on there, it's neither healthy or even fun anymore. Same goes for Netflix. It just feels so much better dawdling on IG or watching 4 episodes when you're supposed to be studying rather than doing it on your free time, doesn't it?

10. You need to get out and exercise as much as you can

As much as you possibly can and as long as it's allowed, please do. I especially did that during the second lockdown. During the first one, I was so bumped about everything and I didn't even want to get out of the house, even though I was allowerd to. I stayed in for a whole month, never even going to the supermarket or for a walk around the block. That was wrong on so many levels. Physical health is really important and you're made to exercise. By no means should you neglect that.

11. There's always at-home-workouts as well

In case you're not allowed to go out or you're scared and don't want to, you can always do it at home. There were times I was actually bored of walking the same streets and all I wanted was to do my routine at home. Find what's best fit for you and do that. I'm not saying that it's "either, or", but there can obviously be a personal preference. I found that even when I didn't want to exercise, I felt so much better after I pushed myself to. There were times I craved that in order to feel like I accomplished something on a regular day.

12. Nothing can beat interpersonal contact

I happen to have friends that I haven't seen in months and I'm sure you have, too. Call it friends, family, acquaintances, whatever you like. That's the most important thing that 2020 took from me personally, but I'm learning to deal with it.

13. When there's a will, there's a way

Like I said before, interpersonal contact is unbeatable. It was also high-key impossible, considering how this year has been. You'd think that most people would isolate and forget all about each other and all connections would be lost. Well, I think the exact opposite happened. I found that, people really do need contact and they'll try everything to have it. Texts, phonecalls, videocalls, nothing can replace meeting face-to-face, surely, but it really shows just how people need to communicate and how willing they are to compromise in order to get that interaction they desire. There's no denial that if you wanted to stop talking with someone, this was the year to do it. But I was pleasantly surprised to see how I ended up bonding with the people around me instead (here's to #4 again).

14. You now have the time to to everything you never had time for before

Shamelessly referencing and yet again promoting my article "What to do when the world is ending", because I do believe that. We always complained about not having enough time and now… well, we have time to spare. I am by no means saying that we needed quarantine for that, but we might as well try to take advantage of that "pause" we've hit on our lives.

15. You don't need to be productive each and everyday

Everybody seems to be feeling that pressure during lockdown to be their best self, to achieve more than one could even imagine, to become a whole new human being, change habits, change their looks and the list goes on. Isn't that a bit much to expect during a freaking pandemic? Your life isn't slipping away just because you didn't manage to reinvent yourself in a matter of months.

16. Having days off even when you haven't done anything is okay

Similar to #15, I've had many, many days where I felt awful just because I couldn't bring myself to do anything. There's times when I literally feel like a machine, going through my homework in no time, exercising, baking... and there's others when I can't even bring myself to get out off bed. Both are okay. Mental health is importnat. Take your time. Breathe. You will do it. You can do it. You need to let yourself breathe. Make out a schedule that works for your and do it, step by step. Sleep a few hours in. Make yourself some coffee and handle it when you're ready. Push yourself, but not too hard.

17. You just have to do what's right, even when most people don't

That's especially something I learned during the lockdown...s. There's two of them, at least in Greece so far. Two lockdowns. I saw people partying and I saw people going out of their way to go against the law ostentaniously, just so they could show their followers how much of a bad boy they were. Do you really need to do that? Is going out during a pandemic on a traffic ban hour what you need most in your life? Not cool, just checking. 

18. You can always explore parts of your city you'd never thought about before

I'm sure there's more to where you live than you know. At least that's what I found out about my city. Just because I used to go out anywhere else instead of walking around, I didn't know how realxing that could be and how many little spots I hadn't noticed before.

19. Organizing can be anxiolytic

I love it. I really do. It's a guilty pleasure at this point. Not when anybody tells me to do it, that's for sure. But when I have to re-organize my closet or my desk or basically anything. I love seeing the mess, decluttering and then putting it all back after I've cleaned, nice and neat. It takes my mind off of things and drastically changes how I feel about my personal space.

20. It's going to be okay

I know it feels like it's not going to, but it is. I've had days (and I still have them) where I felt like I'm missing out in life. Like I'm just waiting as life goes by, unable to do anything. But it isn't. We need to heal before we can move on with our life. It will get better and it will be worth the wait. I truly didn't like having to wear a mask at all times, just because it hides half of people's face and I don't like not being able to see that. See their smile, see their reactions. It feels inhumane. But it doesn't have to be, because vision and touch are only two of our senses and we shouldn't feel like all is lost because we are temporarily unable to use them. Seeing your loved ones again, being able to hug, touch, kiss them again. It will all be worth it. 


P.S.  If you're one that's lost anyone during 2020, I am terribly sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to imagine how that must have been during such a difficult yeat.

xox, 

Eva

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου